Lauren started coaching at the age of 17; she now holds an FA Level 2 Certificate and FA Youth Modules 1 and 2. She has managed and coached at Heathwaite JFC with the girl’s team for 3 years and at the Westmorland FA Player Development Centre for 2 years. Lauren recently graduated from the University of Cumbria with a First Class BA Hons in Coaching and Sport Development. She also plays football locally, captaining Kendal Town Ladies FC throughout their recent promotion and cup successes.
Lauren’s role at Westmorland County FA will include working in over 25 schools delivering high quality coaching in Football, Multi Skills and Sports sessions. Lauren will lead development of the women’s and girl’s game, she will also work on developing young leaders in the Football Futures programme and with the Westmorland and Furness Under 18 League.
Lauren’s Qualification’s and Awards:
• BA Hons Coaching and Sport Development
• Level 2 Award in Coaching Football
• Sports Leader Award Level 2
• FA Youth Award Module 1 - Developing the Environment
• FA Youth Award Module 2 – Developing the Practice
• FA Emergency Aid
• FA Safeguarding Children
• Fully checked CRB
• FA Laws of the Game
• 4 Years coaching experience with youth football team
• Street Games Introductory module
Projects and Programmes in which the Assistant Football Development Officer/Community Coach will support and develop are:
School Club Links (Primary and Secondary)
• Working in local Primary and Secondary schools giving both boys and girls high quality coaching that focuses on developing the core skills of agility, balance, co-ordination and speed (Fundamentals of movement). The emphasis is to work on these skills in a fun and challenging way to give children a positive first experience of sport, sessions are coached in Curriculum time, cover PPA time after school or at Lunchtimes. Sessions can be Football or a range of Multi Skills or Multi Sports being delivered.
Football Skills Camps
• Westmorland County FA and the FA Tesco Skills team work together to provide Football Fun Days; these sessions provide opportunities during the school holidays for any young players (boys and girls aged 5 - 12 years) wanting to play football, learn new skills and above all have fun!
Sunday Morning FC
• 6 Week Project delivered at several different venues to allow 4-12 year olds extra coaching in a fun, safe environment
In-Service Training for Coaches/Players
• Working with local Senior and Junior teams to be a service for different coaching practices being delivered to the club at their venue.
• Westmorland County FA run an open-age Disability team called the Riversiders every Wednesday from 5-6pm with the team participating in the Lancashire FA Ability Counts League.
Football Futures Programme
The scheme allows volunteers working within clubs and schools (aged 12-19) with the opportunity to access support from the County FA while logging volunteer hours. The importance of volunteers in grassroots football cannot be underestimated and Westmorland County FA are committed to supporting the volunteers of the future.
Six leadership and volunteering Football Futures themes are now being used to allow more young volunteers to be involved:
• Coaching and working with teams
• Running Events
• Running and developing the game
• Promoting the game
Inclusion Work and linking with local youth services
• Working with local youth service to provide a coaching sessions free of charge to boys and girls aged from 10-19 inside during the winter months and a 5-a-side competition during the summer holidays.
• Westmorland County FA run the Kendal Futsal League with winners of the leagues winning tickets to an England match at Wembley Stadium. New teams are always welcome to join the current league.
Lauren can be contacted on 01539 730946 (office), 07943 335 820 (mobile) or via email Lauren.Downham@WestmorlandFA.com